Skip to main content

Another Cold Shoulder Look with Butterick 6462

Summer is flying by so fast!  I can't believe that it is mid July already.  I have accomplished a couple of major things sewing wise- I bought a coverstitch machine, and after letting it sit in a box for 3 months, I finally got up the nerve to open it up and figure it out.  I don't know why I waited so long!  It was really pretty easy, and I've been sewing up a storm since.  The second thing was that I replaced my leaky iron.  Another thing that I don't know why I lived with it for so long, but now that it has been replaced, I feel like I am sewing in luxury and am sewing in peak condition.  Kind of like an athlete with new shoes getting a burst of confidence!

But, this particular project was the last one that I made before the coverstitch box was opened.  After my first foray into the cold shoulder look with a knit in my last post, I decided to dip my toes even further, this time with a pattern designed for a woven fabric, Butterick 6462.




This is one of Butterick's Lifestyle Wardrobe patterns where you can make the same design in dress, top or jumpsuit formats.  Don't you just love options?  I chose to make View C, which is the long version of the top. 


As far as woven blouses go, this one was really quite simple.  The neckline, front and sleeves are all finished with a combined front and back facing, like you often see with sleeveless dress patterns.  Here you can see the nice finish that this gives you on the shoulder.


It's collarless, and I think that the gentle curve on the neckline is very pretty.  You could easily make this a sleeveless top, as the facing continues under where the sleeve is added. 


I did do a full bust adjustment, round back adjustment and forward shoulder adjustment, but left the length alone.   I will definitely be making this again to make the time spent doing those alterations worth it!  You need a fabric with some nice drape, and this is rayon challis- a very soft and drapey fabric.



Even though this is long sleeved, it's still pretty comfortable in the heat because it is so loose and airy.  I think that the jumpsuit is an interesting possibility, but you'd have to find just the perfect bottomweight fabric that still has some drape- probably a crepe would work.

In other news, I've finally opened up an Instagram account!   I've been hesitant to do so, but I am trying to not be such an old fogie, and keep up with the young-uns.  I have yet to post anything, but if you have one and would like to connect, my account is Sewbaby11.

I just love this fabric, and I still have another couple of yards left to do another project with. Any suggestions?  

Happy Sewing!
Ann

Comments

  1. Congratulations on getting your coverstitch out of the box! I do like this top you made, it suits you well! I have this pattern too, but have not attempted it yet. Also, I will check you out on IG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful top! The style is great on you, I'm inspired to move this pattern up in my queue. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous top and congrats on the cover stitch machine! Welcome to Instagram, you will love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful top! I can't remember either why I put up so long with a leaking iron but it feels good to have a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, and so feminine. Great job! I hear you about the coverstitch machine. Bought mine in May of 2016, and just started using it last month. It was so easy to thread and use. Our own thoughts can be our worst enemy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KM. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! It is really so much less complicated than a serger.

      Delete
  6. Hi Dear,

    i Like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Useful For me.

    Find the best Online sleeveless dress at seductiveu.com. Shop the latest collection of featuring dresses, black v neck dress, white sleeveless dress & more.

    Visit Now - https://seductiveu.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.